In need of inner peace

Right now I feel like Po, in desperate need of Master Shifu. The twins’ exams kicked off today and that has me all in a tizzy. You’ve heard me ranting already I know. Bear with me, dear friends for another week or two. I promise I will try my hardest to not let my anxiety spill out here.
Correction: I will try not to get anxious at all.
But you know how it is sometimes? One knows the right thing to do and yet cannot? It is hard to not get anxious. They’re at that age when I’m not sure how far I should be helping them. It is hard to let them be, to leave them to find their own feet, to be ready to watch them fail. I know I have to do it at some point but is this the right time? Is there a right age, right time at all?
What if that ‘right time’ is different for both kids? What if one of them is ready for that push and the other is not? How do I push one child to study on his own while I focus my attention on the other? Is the first one old enough to understand why I’m not holding his hand all the way like I’m doing it for the other?
Sigh!
These are the things that have been top of the mind for me this week. I will add though, that there has been a move towards independence since the last exam – a tiny minuscule one – but it definitely has been there and that gives me heart.
I am trying not to let my anxieties reach the twins. So they have their television time and their hour of play and we have something called ‘exam treats’ too. They seem to be doing fine.
Somedays I worry that they’re not worried enough and somedays I worry I that I’m making them too anxious. Yes, I’m one big bunch of confusion struggling to find a balance for the children as well as for myself.
I’m not really too nice a person to be around at this point in time.

16 thoughts on “In need of inner peace

• March 27, 2017 at 4:14 pm

Balance is something I am constantly struggling for.

• March 25, 2017 at 1:49 pm

There always seems to be another exam to take. It is tough and stressful for them and us as parents. All we can do is stay calm and support them and remember to breathe! Thanks for joining us. #TweensTeensBeyond

• March 27, 2017 at 1:49 pm

Ah the staying cal bit is where the challenge lies. Thanks for dropping by Jo.

• March 24, 2017 at 9:10 am

Ahh… the exam season is fast approaching my house a well. As parents all we can do is try and support as best we can. You are so right that we need to find what works for each child. It sounds like you are doing an excellent job. Good luck to your twins. Thanks so much for joining us at #TweensTeensBeyond. Hope to see you next week.

• March 27, 2017 at 6:48 am

Thanks for the wishes Sharon. Enjoyed being part of the linky.

• March 23, 2017 at 5:01 pm

You are just a caring mum that has her children by the heart. It's a difficult time and it sounds as though you are doing just fine. Lovely to have you here at #TweensTeensBeyond. Thanks you for joining us Nicky

• March 27, 2017 at 6:46 am

Thanks Nicky. Exams are tough times because the the way the children study is different from the way we did. Most of my anxiety stems from that.

• March 27, 2017 at 6:44 am

Thanks Helena. That's right – it's difficult to stop worrying.

• March 27, 2017 at 6:42 am

You lucky lady – all through with them! One day at a time should do it, thanks.

• March 22, 2017 at 11:25 am

Mommy, you aren't alone in being more anxious than the kids during exam time. I was quite like you until last week (that's when my kid's exams got over). All I can say is, just go by your gut instinct and rest everything shall fall in place. What works best for each kid and you can be best known by doing what you feel is right and hope for the best.
    Good Luck to the twins and you for the exams!
    Hugs.

• March 27, 2017 at 6:41 am

Thanks My Era – we're half way done and am I grateful. You're right – we need to go by our instinct and things will fall into place hopefully.

• March 27, 2017 at 6:39 am

Oh yes parenting is one tough game with no right answers at all.