I’m in charge of my celebrations

The twins had a poem by Byrd Baylor in their last unit titled ‘I’m in charge of Celebrations’.
It is about a girl who lives alone in the desert. She’s not one bit lonely, though. She makes  her own celebrations. She celebrates sandstorms, rainbows, meteor showers and whirlwinds. She celebrates whatever makes her happy and writes it down in a little book because she ‘wants to remember it all her life’. “Last year I gave myself 108 celebrations other than the ones they close school for” she says.
Isn’t that delightful?
Here we are, living in a wonderfully vibrant country that embraces all kinds of people and gives us hundreds of real reasons to celebrate. However, we’re so constricted by the narrowness of our own minds that we’d much rather give it all a miss. We’d rather go out and mess up other people’s celebrations, or make fun of them, or label them anti national or post caustic updates on our Facebook and twitter feeds.
We’d rather celebrate hate than love.
With Valentine’s Day round the corner the debate of ‘should we shouldn’t we’ is sure to come up yet again. How about we let everyone be in charge of their own celebrations? And get busy planning our own. Just for a change, maybe?

12 thoughts on “I’m in charge of my celebrations

• February 13, 2017 at 8:26 am

Couldn't agree more with this line Tulika, "Here we are, living in a wonderfully vibrant country that embraces all kinds of people and gives us hundreds of real reasons to celebrate. However, we’re so constricted by the narrowness of our own minds that we’d much rather give it all a miss. "

Life is all about celebration in our own respective ways and be happy.

Cheerz

• February 14, 2017 at 5:11 am

If only we'd realise that instead of running people down. Also, I wish the festivals would't turn into such a frenzy. There really should be a mid path.

• February 12, 2017 at 4:03 am

Nicely thought-provoking, Tulika. Three decades ago (yep, I know, right?) when my cousin left the country to work elsewhere, we fretted over the festivals he would miss. Then we made a decision. We'd celebrate everything when he was around. So that became sort of a habit. I still follow it. No traditional dates. I am totally in charge of my celebrations 😉

As for V day… 🙂 Here's my I love you to you!

• February 14, 2017 at 5:10 am

That's a fabulous idea. I'm just grateful the kids are around yet. Oh and I love you too :-D.

• February 12, 2017 at 2:57 am

Celebrate what you like to. Where do the others come in unless it impinges on them?

• February 11, 2017 at 5:02 am

Wow! What a lovely idea and such a wonderful thing to teach children. I wish all could plan their own happiness. The one that's not bound by time or day 🙂

• February 11, 2017 at 6:28 am

Isn't it? I thought it was a wonderfully optimistic poem.

• February 10, 2017 at 1:54 pm

I have no clue how celebrating love interferes with another person's idea of happiness. But this is the way people are. Best is to ignore and do what your heart desires.

• February 10, 2017 at 6:10 pm

Best advice ever – do your own thing.

• February 10, 2017 at 1:42 pm

Wow! That's such a beautiful idea. Celebrating ordinary moments in our lives gives us an opportunity to step back and appreciate the little things that matter. Aaryan and I used to write, 'What made me happy' every night in a notebook. We did this for a few months and then just like that we abandoned it. *SIGH* But reading that diary never fails to bring a smile and makes me realize that ordinary day-to-day moments can be just as special as the big achievements of life.

• February 10, 2017 at 6:07 pm

Absolutely. It's like keeping a happiness journal.