The best sound in the world

You know what’s the best sound in the world? The sound of laughter. And if it is that of a loved one it is even more precious.
As I sat in my room working at my laptop the other day, I heard my parents laugh out loud at something they were watching on the television in the other room. It brought an unwitting smile to my face, just like the sound of H and N’s laughter does, although in the second case there is also a degree of relief :-).
I love the sound of my parents’ laughter because it transports me to my childhood, to days of endless giggles and noisy arguments. My father would complain sometimes – ‘You make enough noise for ten people’, he would tell us. ‘We’re alive, that’s why’, my mom would retort. Over the years he pretty much got used to it and came to put up with our racket cheerfully.
I love to hear them laugh because it reminds me what a boisterous family we are and that perhaps that’s where H and N get their noisiness from. It’s definitely not from the Husband’s side! It reminds me then, that I really have no business to complain, that I should be more patient with them.
My parents’ laughter speaks of the wonderful camaraderie they share despite being complete opposites. I listen to them quibbling and then settling down with their books. I hear them discussing Rekha’s biography which mum is reading. Then as the news comes on their conversation becomes even more animated and veers to Akhilesh and Mulayam Singh Yadav. They’ve come a long way since when they first met in German class. I love how their interests have merged over the years, though my mum still draws the line at cricket.
I love their laugh because it reassures me that they are happy and healthy. It speaks of their spirit that the aches and pains of age have failed to dampen. I can already see my mum raising her eyebrows at the word ‘age’ as she asks, ‘Who’s old here?’.

They left last week but I still hear their laughter ringing in my ears  and I am grateful.
Picture credit : Pixabay

40 thoughts on “The best sound in the world

• February 13, 2017 at 5:49 pm

This is my first post that I am reading on your blog, Tulika. Totally, loved it. 🙂

• February 14, 2017 at 12:19 am

Welcome here Neha. Glad you enjoyed that post.

• February 10, 2017 at 11:16 am

This is such a love-filled post, Tulika. I was getting teary-eyed just imagining the scene – sitting in the next room listening to parents' laughter. These are the little moments that we cherish all our lives. Such simple moments of love, contentment and joy. Wishing your parents good health and happiness.

• February 11, 2017 at 12:21 pm

Thank you Beloo for those warm words. Laughter is a blessing, no matter our age.

• February 9, 2017 at 6:50 am

Laughing always lightens our life. I too lave to laugh and hear the sound of laughter, Great post.

• February 2, 2017 at 11:07 am

I know how that feels, Tulika! The laughter of loved ones is the most precious because the feelings it evokes go far beyond the sound. Hugs! I love your interpretations of that laughter. Stay blessed! My Mom had a joyous laugh and I miss it so much, but I can always hear it in my mind. Thank you for being part of the Gratitude Circle. Love.

• February 6, 2017 at 11:23 am

It's always a pleasure linking up Vidya.

• February 2, 2017 at 7:30 am

True… Sounds of laughter take me back in time stirring memories of my kids baby times… My childhood data with friends and my parents and family time…. Sigh!!!!

• February 6, 2017 at 11:22 am

Aw don't sigh Ramya. We're creating new and happy memories with fresh laugher all the time.

• February 1, 2017 at 4:48 pm

You know what, I have been following you since a long time.. don't even remember when I started following you. I hadn't opened my blog since past 2-3 years and now that i'm back, it feels really good to see you all still writing so beautifully. Gives me motivation as well as a feeling of comfort… i'm unable to explain it clearly but I hope you get what I mean 🙂

• February 6, 2017 at 10:51 am

Welcome back Shuchi. It's always good to come back to a favourite hobby. Stick around.

• February 1, 2017 at 7:41 am

Awww.. This is such a cute post, Tulika! The best feeling in the world is to see your parents happy and healthy!

Cheers

• February 1, 2017 at 4:27 am

I feel the same when I hear my parents' laughter too…although over the phone. There's this inexpressible happiness, a kind of peaceful feeling to realize that they are happy. Loved reading this post ��
    I would love to know how the story progressed from the German class 😀

• February 6, 2017 at 10:47 am

It's reassuring, isn't it? As for that story, that's part of family folklore. Maybe one day it'll see light of day.

• February 1, 2017 at 4:07 am

No better joy than what laughter brings and it does quietly goes into the delightful memories you subconsciously remember and it always does make you happy 🙂 (P.S. the post did bring a smile 🙂 a happy post)

• February 6, 2017 at 10:45 am

Glad the post made you smile. Happiness is infectious. :-).

• January 31, 2017 at 7:11 am

I loved this blog..it brought a smile to my face..and your mom and dad are so cute…wish we have the same kind of harmony in our relationship with our husbands when we are their age…god bless. Laughter is something which carries us through all the ups and downs of life.

• February 6, 2017 at 10:44 am

Thanks Shilpa. We share quite a few laughs, right?

• January 31, 2017 at 6:03 am

Awww…So cute…Tulika this post made me smile and also tear up a bit…The moments of joy, laughter, fun with loved ones are truly precious…Thank you!

• February 6, 2017 at 10:42 am

It's always a wonderful feeling to hear an echo of your thoughts in someone else. So thanks for dropping by Gowri.

• January 31, 2017 at 5:21 am

Happiness written all over this post. The post brought a smile to my face as well. I love the giggles too. The sons sometimes have these fits of giggles where I join in as well. Such fun it is when we laugh and enjoy together.

• February 6, 2017 at 10:41 am

H and N too can go on and on – one setting off the other!

• January 31, 2017 at 5:16 am

I agree, laughter is the sweetest sound you can hear. It is also absolutely magical the way a smile appears on your face, on hearing laughter, even from strangers. The memories of these moments also always guarantee that smile on your face, even in the worst moments of your life.

• February 6, 2017 at 10:37 am

Oh yes.. Sometimes even listening to strangers laughing can make you smile.

• January 31, 2017 at 3:14 am

Ah the laughter and you are absolutely right. That's the best sound ever. 🙂
    This is the first post I read this morning and could not stop smiling. Thank you for that moment of peace. Happy Tuesday!

• January 31, 2017 at 1:29 am

This made for such a happy read, Tulika. A house that resonates with laughter is truly a blessed one. And it's such a binding factor too, for the sound of laughter is so very contagious.

• February 6, 2017 at 10:35 am

Thanks Shilpa. Listening to our loved ones laugh is the best thing ever.

• January 30, 2017 at 3:37 pm

This post brings so many happy laughy memories to my mind right now. I am the clown at home and in any friend circle, the one who makes everyone laugh at all my stupidest lamest jokes and comments. The sound of people laughing all around me can really make me feel so happy, that I strive to make people laugh and smile even in my blog posts.

A beautiful post it is ❤ 🙂

• January 31, 2017 at 12:26 am

I've read enough of you to know how true that statement is. It's the best thing to be able to make people laugh. Thanks Mithila.

• January 30, 2017 at 3:26 pm

Such joy in laughter that brings and keeps families together. Your parents sound delightful and they sound like mine. Well, I'd venture to say a tad like me and V too because we do quibble a lot but laugh a lot too. I'm hoping Gy hears us laugh as much as we do. Such a feel good post, this one.

• January 31, 2017 at 12:24 am

I kind of knew that! It's good for the kids,isn't it, to hear their parents laugh together?

• January 30, 2017 at 2:25 pm

Oh yes! I know what you are talking about! Whenever my grandmother would laugh, my dad's eyes lit up and it made me happy. Sort of like a domino effect..in a good way!

• January 31, 2017 at 12:22 am

That's a cute one. By the way why aren't you writing anymore?

• January 31, 2017 at 7:25 pm

Got a little wound up in all the yarn 🙂 I have been a little lost in the world of crochet. But I have a couple of things I want to write about 🙂

• January 30, 2017 at 2:01 pm

Aah the laughter! And when we see our parents and kids swelling together with laughter, it feels like the world stops just here. The parents' heartfelt laughter is endearing. This time when we went for a short weekend trip, I focused my camera over my parents' faces while both of them played carom with my brother and sister-in-law. I captured a lot of photos of them in various moods of concentrating, excitement and foremost laughter. Those are the photos I am going to cherish for a long long time. Loved reading this post and finding out the coincidence in our thoughts over the past few days.

• January 31, 2017 at 12:16 am

Watching your parents and kids bonding is just the sweetest. I know what you mean.